The Capital building is one of Washingtons unmistakable landmarks. The
cornerstone of the building was laid by George Washington himself in 1793, and with the
exception of certain extenuating circumstances (when the British burned the Capital),
it has housed the Senate and the House of Representatives since 1800.
The Capital building is divided into three sections: The North Wing, which houses the
Senate, the South Wing for the House of Representatives and the Rotunda.
The absolutely beautiful Rotunda is the area under the Capital dome. On its ceiling is
Constitino Brumidis fresco, "Apotheosis of Washington". The bronze 19-foot
tall statue, "Freedom", tops the dome itself. No building in the District of
Colombia is permitted to be taller than the statue, so nothing may stand above
The free 45-minute tour of the Capital begins in the Rotunda, and makes its way around
the halls of the building. Along the way, tour guides point out the historical
significance of the paintings and statues that adorn the halls. The tour is very
informative and will instill an appreciation for the historical and architectural
importance of the Capital.